Sunday, October 25, 2015

Promises, Promises

"So is he destined for a life of disappointment and heartbreak?" my friend asked me. We were watching her fifteen year old starting his second set. He plays guitar better than I did when I was fifteen. He plays guitar better than I do today. He's good. Real good. He knows what he wants to do with his life. Some of us don't really get a choice.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Otherwise he wouldn't have anything to write about."

Nobody knows what the business model of the future holds for the rock'n'roll racket. I figure it's a fine time to be fifteen and ready to roll. The music's not going away. He's onboard for the start of something.

If I had been president or a movie star, if I had won Pulitzers or gold medals, it wouldn't stand up to the life that I've had. I may grumble about it. I do grumble about it. I'll tell you this, though- if you don't believe in magic, there isn't any.

Good luck, kid. Keep doing it with love.



No comments:

Post a Comment