Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Black and White






In 1947 Birmingham was waiting for its cinematic moment in black and white. Schools. Music. Neighborhoods. Water fountains. I was born in Birmingham in 1947. In color. The soundtrack was in 3/4, waltz time. I hit the pavement in 4/4. It's all about 2 and 4, buddy. 1 and 3 are just along for the ride, to trick the chumps.

We moved to Florida when I was six. I've always told the story that the move was my idea, that a precocious first grader tricked his single mom into moving to the sunshine state. Palm trees. Beaches. It's only lately that I've come to figure out that I was played. Thank goodness.

Turns out all they told me about time speeding up was true. Maybe I shoulda' played more slow ones.

Now the road narrows and the sun starts to set and I'm so very grateful for the love I've known and the music I've heard. 

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war.




No comments:

Post a Comment