Friday, May 9, 2014

Kinky

Pretty sure I've told you most of this story before. Don't stop me. For compromise, I will leave out the weird details and just start right in by explaining that I was promoting a series of smaller concerts in Tampa for the Russian mafia.

For some reason Tampa and St. Pete have always held a special spot in their common geographical heart for the Kinks. That's the kind of quirkiness that has kept me here for most of my life.

I was putting on a show at the armory with the Kinks and Dion. Pretty fair show, eh? I had just read in Billboard or Cashbox that Ray Davies was beginning to produce other acts. This must be destiny, right?

The boys had managed to get in trouble the night before our show involving a food fight in the Feed Bag in Coconut Grove. 

Early in the afternoon I walked out of the armory box-office and almost ran into the Boss Kink. I looked into those kaleidoscope eyes and couldn't bring myself to speak at all. We both smiled and nodded. I would not be asking about production services.

The show that evening was spectacular. Tampa had waited a long time for their Musswell hillbillies. They took the stage and Ray began prancing back and forth his mic, one hand on his hip in his tailored white suit. Every time he passed you could hear some part of la la la la Lola. He had a cheap Fender acoustic hung from his shoulder that still had the price tag dangling. Now that's class!

They tore through a magnificent set of rock'n'roll and the crowd was ecstatic. For me the highlight of the show was a rowdy version of "Alcohol." Ray drank from a can of brew while he spilled it all over the white suit and new guitar. It was out and out vaudeville.

They came backstage while the crowd screamed for an encore. Honestly at this point in their careers I don't think that encores were usually a consideration. Out of their little huddle I overheard, "Apeman, yeah, Apeman!"

Ray was the last one in the room. He waved his arm and called, "Louie, Louie."

The other four whined and he repeated, Louie, Louie!'

They climbed the stairs and finished off the crowd with "Louie, Louie."

The station is doing a Kinks tribute next month and I noticed that "Alcohol" was not claimed when they invited me for the show. I plan to spill some beer in my own little tribute.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the Kinks Tribute comin' up. Might make it for that one. Sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete