Thursday, September 12, 2013

Make 'Em Cry

Folks ask, "What's your favorite song?" I've always taken it seriously. My problem is that it depends on when you ask. I'm as likely to blurt out Tim Dawes' "Little Boy Blue" or Rebekah Pulley's "Nobody's Cool Any More" as I am to mention "Wooly Bully" or "Pumped Up Kicks" or "All Along The Watchtower." Just depends on what comes to mind.

There are records that transcend all measure, though. You know the ones. They make the hair on your arms stand up. They never sounded like anything before them. It still hits you in the face like a 2X4 when it comes on the radio.             

Your list is different from mine. Mine almost always includes Elvis' version of "Blue Suede Shoes," the Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand," and Ray Charles' "What'd I Say?" They all changed me all the way through.

I'm not altogether sure about just who I am but the key's in those three records somewhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment