Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Power Of The Song

When I hear George Jones sing those heart breaking words from "She Thinks I Still Care" I can't help but marvel at the feelings that Dickey Lee and Steve Duffy packed into those three minutes of song. Of course the Possum's clenched teeth delivery is what you're drawn to but it's those gut wrenching lyrics and that sad, sad melody that pack the wallop. The same with "I Go To Pieces" whether it's Peter and Gordon's hit version or Del Shannon's original. How can such sadness be contained on a little piece of plastic? Don't even get me started about Hank Williams or Ray Charles. I'm thrilled to hear that Steve Martin and Edie Brickell possess the stuff with "When You Get To Asheville," the radio single off their new collaboration. Heck, they're rich. They're famous. What do they know about heartache and heartbreak?

On the other end of the scale if "I'm My Own Grandpa" by Lonzo and Oscar comes on the radio, my pants are wet. Don't worry. It never even came on the radio in 1947 when it was new. Hmm; 1947.

I struggle for the power to break hearts, to wet pants. That's what I do.



1 comment:

  1. At your age, wetting your pants should not be much of a challenge :P

    ReplyDelete