Friday, September 8, 2017

Whoa! Waiting' For A Storm





The World Book Encyclopedia was my world wide web as I was growing up. My mom couldn't afford the luxury so I would sit for hours on the floor in the living room of our next-door neighbors, the Gunns. The Romanovs, sling psychrometers, the great pyramids and leprosy colonies in Hawaii. It all fascinated me. Still does. Lord knows I was never trying to learn anything.

My sex education consisted of ogling darker titties in National Geographic. 

My musical background came from records that my mom brought home for me. Wynonie Harris. Hank Williams. Johnny Standley. Nat King Cole. Fats Domino.

Sunday school supplied the important stuff. To this day I can't quote you much scripture but I know right from wrong. I don't really want to discuss my neighbor's wife. Thanks anyway.

When the head of the geography department asked why I was interested in a degree from his department the first thing that came to mind was The Whole Earth Catalog. Wrong answer. Too late. I dragged throngs of hippies through their program by the time I had my degree.

My politics were formed watching corruption and graft up close working for the government. I don't have much use for the government today.

My vocation- I write hillbilly songs. Nobody buys them and I brag about it.

Try to sit next to me at the dinner party. I'm socially awkward but we'll have a lot to talk about.



                                       


No comments:

Post a Comment