Thursday, September 8, 2016

Count The Bridges



Twice a week now I decide to quit this endeavor. At least twice a week. It feels like I go to the same corner in the same park, climb up on the same soapbox and wag my finger. It is the power that I have, though. I tried once for eleven years to save the environment, working for the government. I seem to have failed. It didn't discourage me as an environmentalist. It did turn me against government.

My job is to save the world. I've known that for some time now. My skills are weak, my talent, limited. Oh, I hope that doesn't sound pompous. I think you've got a similar job. Assuming you have better sense, you may not fill out forms listing yourself as "crusader"or "do-gooder."

Yeah, there was a time when most of us identified as something that we did for eight hours a day. Not many of us bolt fenders onto Buicks these days. 

"What do you do?"

"That's my Lexus out there."

"I bought the place on the corner. I'm gonna tear it down and build something like all these others- only bigger."

I surely don't feel superior to the folks that I seem to be making fun of here. We all do the best we can.

As long as the world is full of good folks, though, and it surely is, we shouldn't tolerate war in our name. We should tear down this political process and elect representatives who serve our real interests. While we're at it, let's feed our hungry, fix our tax codes fairly, and patch
 our healthcare system. You know those bad men that Jesus pitched out of the temples? They're b-a-a-a-ck. Scientists should determine science, not greedy cartoon turtles from Kentucky.

Alright. I'm not gonna quit yet but I'm gonna keep threatening.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war.







No comments:

Post a Comment