Monday, June 20, 2016

Mystics Day


My family reunion is coming up this weekend so I'll be away from you for a few days. If a comic book bulb lights up over my head I'll be trying to post via phone. I haven't had an original thought since early in ' 67 but I've had plenty close calls and near-misses.

We will be warming up for Aunt Jo's one hundredth birthday celebration. She's the holdout for the generation ahead of me. I can't wait to see her.

This is one rich family. Not in money. Oh, some have done well. Nobody's gonna starve. When it comes to real measures, though, this bunch is loaded.

We're all over the board in our beliefs, religious and political. We don't care. I've always been the black sheep. Now I'm just the eccentric. They have always given me an extra helping of love. That's how they operate.

It's all about Grandma. Lottie Adams, the matriarch, has been gone for years. She'll be right there in Birmingham with us for a few days, though. Every tall tale and shaky memory will lead right back to her.

These days don't always end with a prayer like she taught me. When I do "lay me down to sleep," though, my last thought is usually some variation of "give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war." That's what she taught me. That's what she taught all of us.



1 comment: