Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Write What You Know

The German writer was right from central casting- black turtleneck with greasy hair waving over the edge. Black sunglasses in the candlelit booth. 

"Why do you write such dark songs, such sad songs?" he asked in a voice that I thought I recognized from Hogan's Heroes.

Well, he was a nice guy and I surely wanted to be accommodating but he had me stumped. I didn't know that I did write sad, dark songs. I finally managed to explain that some of them were meant to be funny. Most of it was my idea of black humor.

Over the years I've been asked the same question and usually from someone whose first language is English. I don't have an answer. I like to think of myself as a positive, happy guy. I wish I wrote novelty songs. I like that stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment