Friday, May 15, 2015

Me And The Others

Wrong? Yeah, it's funny. I don't mind being proven wrong. I'm dying to have you change my mind. I would shutter to think about me at this stage in life with all of the opinions and convictions of the twelve year old Ronny Elliott.

There are things that I'm sticking with, of course. All of that stuff about peace and love from Grandma and all of that rock'n'roll from Mom, that's forever.

Now that I think about it, everything else is pretty superficial.

Oh, I was the loudest, big mouth critic of American Idol. I've never seen a single episode of any of those shows. I never thought it was beneath me. I just never cared. Now my pal, Joshua Davis is a finalist on The Voice and there's not a twelve year old girl in Michigan more excited about this thing than I am.

B.B. King confided in me that he had regrets about his failures in romance. He had several failed marriages at that point and blamed his life in the music business. I thought it was odd that he was so personal with us, a bunch of immature punks. It puzzled me that someone so sweet, open and honest could have failed in marriage. Over and over.

Now after four failed marriages and several other disasters in romance I have nothing to blame. Well, me. It certainly hasn't been any music business.

When I look back at the last two presidential elections and I think of all the angst that I went through; all the angst that I caused, it seems ridiculous. American politics has nothing to do with me. Nothing. Oh, I will vote and like you I will half-heartedly support the lesser of the two evils. I just have to keep reminding myself that if Jesus or Buddha or Mohammed were alive, they certainly would not be contributing to the Democratic or Republican party.

When you show me a candidate who denounces war and advocates for the poor and the planet, you'll change my mind and I'll be happy to do so.

Meantime, I've got a radio show to get ready for this afternoon and I'm gonna play that stuff my mom brought me.

Love hard. Harder!


No comments:

Post a Comment