Friday, March 6, 2015

Spirit Of A Warrior, Heart Of A Poet

Happy birthday, Grandma. Lottie Adams would have turned 125 today. She lived all the cliches. Saw the first automobiles on the streets in Birmingham. Heard just a bit about the Wright brothers and watched on TV as a man walked on the moon.

She never cared much for Rudy Vallee. She loved Elvis and told him so. She made him a fresh coconut cake and he bragged to the movie magazines about how good it was. She had trouble choosing a favorite Beatle. She was wild about all of them.

Lottie Louise Sawyer was born in Warrior, Alabama on March 6, 1889. She was part Creek. Proud of it, too.

Grandma was the wisest, kindest person I ever met. She taught me everything important that I know today. I'll never be the man that she had in mind or the boy that she imagined I was. I will certainly be a much better person because of her. She had a PhD. in Love.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war.


No comments:

Post a Comment