Friday, February 13, 2015

Playing Grown Up

You know those moments when the comic book light bulb appears over your head and you realize that you've missed something for a long, long time? I'm having one.

When I was a kid we played army. Sometimes we played cowboys and indians. We were always kids, though. 

Somehow through school and parental control and Sunday school they teach us to "play grown-up." Most of us, any way.

Oh, I'm all for personal responsibility. Yeah, I'm aware that babies are totally self absorbed and that it takes some time to become socialized and aware of our role in a society, a family.

I'm thinking of the time when they tell you that there's a limit to the fun. You know, nose to the grindstone, too much fun, put your pants on, blah, blah, blah.

Here's what I learned: 

1. Cheaters win. If you get the answers to the test in advance and don't get caught, you'll ace the test. If you're rich and buy the government, you'll get richer.

2. If you take more than your share you will stand out in a crowd.

3. You don't really have to tell the truth if you're in charge.

4. Hurting is okay as long as you do the hurting.


Well sir, I quit. I know what's right and what's wrong. I'll wear pants when I want to. There's no such thing as " too much fun." I'll love anybody I want to. I've got everything I need and it's all in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment