Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fats and Richard

I've never been big on "acts." I've told you before. I want to see the 640 pound wrestlers, the ones who are still the deal when they squeeze into a booth at a fast food joint. By the time that poor Elvis realized that he was completely different from other humans he scurried to become the first Elvis impersonator. Oh, he was the best. He sorta' had an unfair advantage.

Now, though, when I think back to my first exposure to Little Richard and Fats Domino, the hair on my arm stands up. Not only was the beautiful music a brand new form of magic, the image of those magnificent creatures proved beyond doubt that there was life, real life, beyond what we knew.

Not only did these giants, along with Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry and other gods, change music and society, these heroes began bringing together two races in a hurry. Whoa! I will be forever grateful to have lived on the edge of that.

Pray for peace and listen to rock'n'roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment