Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Second Bananas

Like I've said, I never wanted to be a rock'n'roll star. Don't misunderstand me here, I coulda' done a little better and it wouldn't have broken my heart. I mean, I've been poor and I've been really poor. Poor is better.

I always aspired to the lower ranks. Lots of my heroes barely made the cut. "Big Daddy" Don Garlits is a legend but "Starvin'" Marvin Schwartz has the mystique. Oh sure, Elvis is my idol but Benny Joy held all the real cards.

Be careful what you wish for, boys and girls. This obscurity comes with a price. My big benefits include low taxes, just like the wealthy. Wild privacy. I can walk down any street in Hollywood without being harassed. Nobody's gonna come up and interrupt my intimate candlelight dinner at a fancy restaurant for my autograph.

My art is my life, too. No record company executive is dying to tell me what to do. In fact, no record company executive who has been alive for the last few decades even knows that I exist. I can write and record and play anything that comes to mind. You can probably tell!

Yeah, life is good. Success would have complicated things.


No comments:

Post a Comment