Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cult Leader

So read the sliver from my stale fortune cookie at the Chinese Buffet a couple of weeks back. Funny, when I got home I found an image of the same message on some Tumblr page. How lucky am I that I live exactly the life that I've always dreamed of?

I wasn't blessed with anything that anyone would ever confuse with talent. What I share with folks is my soul. It seems that honesty is in really short supply these days. More than one friend has pointed out to me that I'm far too confessional and always getting way too personal onstage and on my recordings.

That probably has something to do with the number of press reviews and online entries that describe me as a cult artist. I'm pretty sure that most of the writers who describe me in this fashion are trying to be polite about the size of my audience. I've always gone for the underdog.

My friend, Rebekah, as I've mentioned before, has talent. A boatload. That was obvious to me when I saw her starting out. I fumbled to advise her and help move her towards her potential until she clearly needed nothing from me or anyone else. Now she even reveals the personal side. Not hers, mine.

I first heard her doing this song on the radio. She explained that she hadn't really written it, that she merely channeled a friend. I knew who the friend was before she finished the first line.


1 comment: