Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Loser Rock

We all know that the Everly Brothers put the sweet harmony into rock'n'roll. Every article about the great loss of Phil Everly this past week mentions the influence that the boys had on the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, the Louvin Brothers, the Byrds and pretty much everyone else.

That was just the tip of the iceberg, really. Oh, sure, there has been sad music since Pythagoras heard the bells. The really lowdown, cry in your beer, loser song in rock'n'roll seems to have sprung right from Don and Phil, though. In 1960 they released possibly the all time pitiful ballad, When Will I Be Loved, that Phil had penned. Later that year they moved to Warner Brothers Records and released their first single, Cathy's Clown, which they had written together.

There are others in the catalog. Lots of others. Do you think that we would have ever heard I'm A Loser or Help! without those Everly gems. Not in my opinion.

I've been asked forever about why I write such sad songs. Not only have I never had a good answer, I hadn't even noticed until I was asked. 

Well, now I know. We all know a little heartache. I suppose that turning it into song can get to be a habit. Thanks, guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment