Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Higher Forms





The winners, they write the history. Einstein reportedly wrote, "Everybody is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing that it is stupid." The quote has never been verified, by the way.

My grandmother often quipped, "If a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt so much." I can personally vouch for that one. I probably put her on an intellectual level with him. Einstein, that is, not the bullfrog.

In his great conceit, man has put himself at the top of some arbitrary pyramid of the higher animals. Now the first cut-off separates the vertebrates from fish and invertebrates. Then the bickering really starts to roll until we all agree on the tippy top.

We're Number One! We're Number One!

Says who?

Dogs sniff butts. Humans check social status and bank accounts.

I'm not advocating butt sniffing, here, although it seems that it might just be as valid as the other. When it comes right down to it, it's all about love and fear. Put me down for love and, if you can't seat me at the dog table, let me sit at the kids' table.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war. Grandma said that, too.







No comments:

Post a Comment