Saturday, July 14, 2018

A Fashion Sense







Be careful what you wish for. I've always thought of myself as an outsider, an underdog. Funny. I'm a white male, born and raised in the United States. I've had my share of most things and way too much of most of it.

Between Elvis' peak in 1956 and the dawn of the Beatles in 1964, I picked up the guitar and dedicated my life to rock'n'roll. That was inevitable but the timing sure made life easier.

To say that I've led a charmed life is to understate the obvious. I'm lonely by nature and I've been lucky enough to spend my life around the sweetest folks in the world. I'm good at feeling sorry for myself. I'm better at laughing 'til iced tea runs out my nose.

Now, I've lived too long to die young. That's another way of saying that I'm an old man. I've had all of the beautiful freedom that the poets go on about, never chained to any kind of humdrum. I've loved in romance, not well, but intensely.

I've not managed to avoid expectations altogether but I have managed to ignore them.

Now, the day of the white guy is over. Oh, it's gonna take some time but I've got time. Some. It's a woman's world. I'll drink to that. The empire that I took for granted is being dismantled in real time and I watch it on cable news. 

Here's to the future. Here's to love, kindness and truth.



1 comment: