Thursday, January 30, 2020

Quit Slaying Dragons






Maybe we all come along at just the right time. From this vantage point I can see that I was destined for a solo journey. Fill a room with every teacher, all the lovers, each and every friend and they will all tell you- I'm a lone wolf.

This is not what I have thought I wanted. I was always sure that I needed brothers and sisters. As a kid, I would cry when the aunts and uncles went home. I have always moved from romance to romance with no consideration of an alternative.

Playing in a band always seemed like the ultimate occupation. Oh, a hit record would have been nice and, contrary to what you may have heard, I'm not adverse to success. What I always moved back to, though, was the camaraderie of the band.

Well, sir, after more than fifty years and dozens of bands, it's obvious that I can't do that. All those buddies from all those bands will, of course, be in that room telling you the same story.

Don't think that I'm whining. I've had the best teachers, the sweetest lovers, and the best friends a fellow could ever ask for.

Eventually, we all go home alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment