Monday, March 25, 2019

Burning Rubber






If they sold happiness, rich folks would buy it all. As it is, salesmen trick them with diamonds and "fine wine." They will determine which art is worth tens of millions of dollars, thank you.

The rest of us got jazz and, then, rock'n'roll because descendants of slaves invented those musical art forms for fun. They were free and we hadn't allowed those oppressed folks much of anything. Elvis came from what we called poor white trash, stock just a notch above the Negro in this culture.

Of course, white men "bought" the rock'n'roll business and turned it into a commodity. How much will you be willing to pay to see some really old British guys hop around onstage in a sports arena from forty seven rows up. 

That's Mick! That's Mick! I can see his wrinkled face on the big screen. It's gotta' be him! Don Knotts is dead.

Oh, I'm not against personal wealth. Wait- yeah, I suppose that I am. I seem to have spent most of my life denying that fact. I've always had my eye on the ones who need our help while trying to make sense of golden plumbing fixtures.

This new gilded age reeks of dishonor.

Here's to the women and men of means who are using their resources for good. Here's to my beloved rock'n'roll.






No comments:

Post a Comment