Sunday, March 24, 2019

Break It Up, Break It Up







Don't ever fall out of love. Who am I to give advice on love, you may fairly ask. Well, sir, I hate to brag, but I'm something of an authority on the subject. The secret, if, indeed, there is a secret, is to leave expectations at the door. Everybody wants to be loved. No exceptions. If you love, though, expecting to be loved in return, hearts will almost definitely be broken. 

Oh, I have friends who have been together for ages. Some of them are happy. Most of them accept feeling secure.

Lots of songs that I can think of are about falling in love. I can think of a lot more about broken hearts. Not many come to mind about ten year anniversaries. 

You have to admit that I'm not bursting many bubbles here. The history books are filled with the tales of Marilyn's romances; FDR's affair; Angelina's flirting; JFK's dalliances. Honestly, I'm surprised that there has never been a movie about Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher and Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Poor Sybil Williams seems to end up on the cutting room floor.

Please understand that when I boast of my knowledge on the subject of romance, I am referring to my failures. I know, first hand, of every mistake that a lover could make. I'm not being rough on myself. I'm pretty sure that I did the best I could. For the times that I wasn't kind, I am truly sorry.

For those who do live in longtime bliss, I toast you. You know how lucky you are.

For the rest of us, here's to love. Here's to romance.




                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment