Friday, March 30, 2018

Neighbors Know






At this point you know more about me than you ever wanted to know. I've only recently figured out that I've toiled all my life to please a woman. Let me be honest with you here, I haven't done a very good job of it, but then, you knew that part.

It probably started with showing off for Alison Lewis in the third grade. She lives somewhere else now so I don't bother her all that often these days. We probably danced together two or three times over the years. Doesn't sound like major romance, I know, but I get flustered typing her name. I would be lying if I denied hoping that someone will read this tripe over the phone to her.

For years I have said that I played rock'n'roll to "pick up girls." I have felt guilty every single time that I said that and I never "picked up a girl." Now I read somewhere a quote from a musician who said that he started playing music so that girls would like him. He asked, rhetorically, "Isn't that how all people decide on a career? Something to make the opposite sex like them?"

Yeah, boy! That's what I meant. Eloquence was never my strong suit.

My mom and my grandmother loved me unconditionally and approved of my every move. They were my first heroes. I could have stood in the middle of Fifth Avenue and... you know.

By the way, I don't use the word, girl, disrespectfully. I love girls.







No comments:

Post a Comment