Sunday, June 17, 2012

Half full?

The lady at the cash register took my money just now and said with a smile, "Happy Fathers' Day."

"I don't have any kids and I've never met my father," I replied.

Too much information, right? She was trying to be friendly. Polite. I wasn't trying to ruin her holiday or embarrass her. I just say too much too often. I'm struggling with the idea now of whether my heart is half-empty or half-full.

I'm lucky and I know it. I screw up and some god somewhere shields me from consequences. Forces seem to conspire to take care of me.

I'm looking for the truth and often I don't like it when I find it. I really just want to love all that I can, the best that I can. I'm pretty sure that just happens when you let it happen.

Happy Fathers' Day. Everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment