Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Name That Storm





It's hard to feel threatened by a hurricane almost 5,000 miles away, but old habits die hard. This time, of course, I worry about friends and relatives back home. I worry about strangers, too, not to mention opossums, squirrels, dogs and cats.

In the hours before landfall, that weird, quiet calm that feels so eerie in some way that can't be properly explained. At least I've never heard it accurately described. Every kid in elementary school in Florida reads about how all the livestock behaved strangely before a big blow. At least they did while they were still allowed to read. The Seminoles and the Miccasukee knew.

I feel it now, from this distance, over an ocean, somehow. Now we wait.





 

4 comments:

  1. You were the first one I thought of when I heard about this hurricane. I told my son -- who just survived the hurricane in western North Carolina that I was glad my friend Ronny had left Tampa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t it sad that DeSantis and his state government cronies are denying climate science and have legislated eliminating it being taught in Florida schools. They’re refusing to do anything about addressing climate changes caused by human activities. I’m aware that any efforts would not have any immediate impact but it would address possible consequences in the future. It’s also sad that they also have legislated denial of vaccinations, racial discrimination, firearm safety, the sanctity of women’s reproductive rights, etc. I anticipate that their actions will and are causing unnecessary suffering for many citizens of Florida.
    Back to your blog about the anxiety of living with hurricanes, yes I feel it with every storm that approaches us. Fortunately, if it can be called that, hurricanes are the zombies of weather threats. They’re very dangerous but approach very slowly so reasonable precautions can be taken in a timely manner. The most harm is caused when people are unaware of the danger or deny it. Legislated ignorance doesn’t seem to help matters at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs across the ocean

    ReplyDelete