Thursday, April 25, 2019

Truth As I Remember It






Disregarding fundamentalist dribble regarding evolution and creation, most of what they taught me in school has turned out to be true. Pythagoras nailed that theorem about right triangles and taught us about musical tones. He knew that music held all the magic. He believed that each planet produced a particular tone according to its distance from the earth.

Is it any coincidence that Einstein is quoted, "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music,"?

Sadly, much of everything that I was taught in Sunday School has not held up so well. The meek haven't inherited much of anything, nearly as I can tell. The merciful in Yemen, Guatemala and Sri Lanka don't seem to be shown much mercy, here, lately.

Oh, I surely wish that I believed that God was on our side. Unfortunately, I've read about agent orange and smallpox blankets. I know about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

For there are these three things that endure: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love.

I suppose I'm more a Pythagorean than a Luddite. More a heathen than an atheist.

I've always seen my life in music. I know where the magic is. I don't know everything about it- it's magic. I know about truth. I know about love.

If I were not a musician, I would probably be a physicist.











No comments:

Post a Comment