Sunday, February 14, 2016

Family


The plans are being laid for our family reunion. Since I lost my mom about three years ago the whole shebang has shrunk. Of her siblings, only Aunt Jo is left. She turns 100 in July. We plan to gather in Birmingham in June. I have seven cousins and we grew up like brothers and sisters. Being the family numbskull, I have a special spot at the table. All seven of the cousins and all of their "kids" and all of their spouses treat me as if I were okay, just like the rest of them.

Looking back, my mom filled this role before me. They were all good to her, too.

For me, I suppose, it's mostly the rock'n'roll. I'm just not like the rest of them. Not that the others are any cookie cutter models. No sir. They're all over the board, socially, culturally, politically. The common element is love. I guess it all goes back to Grandma. She loved hard and better than anything I've ever seen. She set the standard.

Oh, I'm aware that everyone thinks that their family love is special. I really need to keep quiet about mine. It would be immodest to go on. Let's just say that my heart is really full and leave it at that.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war.


                               

No comments:

Post a Comment