Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Break It Again


If my heart had never been broken it might not be this open. Truth is, I've never loved with total abandon. Oh, I've been thunderstruck. Crazy in love and blinded by passion. Somehow though there's always been a governor keeping a level throttle limited. I'm guessing that it involves some sort of defensive mechanism to limit the pain of eventual loss.

Well, wouldn't you know it. After all this life, all this living, I just recently gave up on a lifelong search for happiness. It's always been hiding with this next promotion, this next romance, this new car, this next record. Now, here it is. Just sitting there in front of me. Right where it's always been.

Every time that I start thinking that I have no interest in any legacy, my grandmother comes to mind. My heart swells with memories and I realize that she lives with me to this day. If I could ever do half the loving that she did in a lifetime, I would have earned my keep.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war. That's what she said.



No comments:

Post a Comment