Thursday, June 19, 2014

Where's Asunder?

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, worried that I don't give enough credit to all the women who brought us rock'n'roll. I mean, I certainly do in my head. I just don't remember writing that much about all the girls who pieced together hillbilly music with gospel and the blues to get us to the glory days of heaven. I'm not going to start rattling off names because I would surely leave out half of my favorites and have to hang myself in shame at sundown.

I will say, though, that Lavern Baker held her own when I saw her on bills with Sam Cooke, Bo Diddley, Big Joe Turner and lots of others. It may not be fair to throw Brenda Lee into the mix since I'm so prejudiced. I've told you before that I was madly in love with Little Miss Dynamite. She sure could rock. Rose Maddox and Ruth Brown, Tina Turner and Memphis Minnie, Jo Ann Campbell and Mahalia Jackson... yeah, I'm doing what I said I wasn't going to do. My nerves get rattled, though, and I picture the women who meant the world to me. They still do. Not only that, but I look around and marvel at the wonderful talented females who make such magical art for us today. Take off your hat, fool! There are ladies here! I love them all.



No comments:

Post a Comment