Thursday, June 20, 2013

No Such Thing As Too Blue

Maybe I've never seen the bottom but I've felt it under my feet. What if I could drag love, kicking and screaming, of course, over to happy. Rock'n'roll, on a good day pegs the meter on one end of the scale with Chuck Willis singing "What Am I Living For?" Of course the flip side was "Hang Up My Rock'n'Roll Shoes." Do I have to mention that he died while it was moving up the charts? The other end of the spectrum might lead us to Little Richard wailing "Oh My Soul."

I've been blessed with seeing it all. I've watched Ray Charles break a few hundred hearts at once while he was still the original heroin poster boy and I've watched Hank Ballard and the Midnighters dare a room to stay in their seats, joy pouring out of every one of them.

Folks ask me about my dark songs, the sad ones. Yeah, well what about my happy ones? I've got joy for ya'. I've got all the love you want. Oh, happy day, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment