Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Back To Monkey Business






For the first time I seem to struggle with this daily task. Oh, it's not that I don't have anything to say. It's just that I'm obsessed, like you, with him. I don't want to write about him. I don't want to think about him.

The idea that maybe our day in the sun is over doesn't bother me. Not much. We had an opportunity to change the world. For the better. We had almost two hundred and fifty years. 

I probably don't need to list our accomplishments. We're proud of aviation. Baseball. Jazz and rock'n'roll. My heroes from this culture, this country, would fill the page.

Of course we didn't invent slavery. We did, however, cling to it long after it went out of fashion in the rest of the civilized world. Now, more than one hundred and fifty years later, we struggle with laws for equal treatment for the descendants of those slaves.

Women fight for equal rights and have since 1776.

Now, how about that other list.

We didn't invent war, either. We don't even win them anymore. It is our biggest industry, however. I could insert a long list of technology here. It's easier to merely mention that we conceived, developed and dropped the atomic bomb. I probably don't need to remind you that the purpose was to end war. How's that working out?

Most people are good. Mostly.

Those others seek power. I'm afraid that I have made my point.

All you need is love.




No comments:

Post a Comment