Saturday, November 30, 2013

What's It Worth To Ya?

Oh, I sat through so many hours of rock'n'roll shows and hillbilly shows and rhythm and blues concerts and dances at my mom's side. Always had my eye trained on the bass player. It was the perfect job for me.

When I began playing at the age of sixteen I knew my station in life. There are the guys born for the spotlight. Stars. The ones who could thrill you. I always wanted to be a part of the team. A member of the band.

Somehow, over time, I've ended up the showoff, the singer-songwriter, the front man. It was never my destiny, never meant to be.

Now I realize that I want to give my music away. I have never been able to sell anything any way. Anything. I would make a record a month and they would be free to anybody who wanted one if I could figure out how to finance that business deal.

They say that folks won't value anything that they don't have to pay for. I remember to this day that Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's explanation for charging to learn TM was that the people wouldn't place any value on meditation techniques unless they shelled out a few bucks for a mantra. I'll bet he was right. I shelled out a few.

Here we are. I play rock'n'roll for you. I have to. I'm blessed and I know it. It's a little late to die young and it's a little late to get rich. It's always time to rock'n'roll.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war.


No comments:

Post a Comment