Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shrimp Boats Were A Comin'

Once rock'n'roll arrived I always detested that really bad pop music on Your Hit Parade. The only thing worse than listening to Snooky Lanson warbling Shrimp Boats Are A Comin' was to sit through his feeble attempt to rock the television in a leather jacket with the collar turned up fumbling Hound Dog.

Sometimes these memories cause me to forget how much I love good pop music. I wish I wrote more "moon, June, spoon" stuff. Walkin' My Baby Back Home is one of my all time favorite songs. When the rockers turn crooners and Clarence "Frogman" Henry lets go with (I Don't Know Why I Love You) But I Do or You Always Hurt The One You Love I'm there!

Let's face it, Bob Dylan was having as much fun with I'll Be Your Baby Tonight as he ever had with Blowin' In The Wind. Yeah, I know. Woody loved that pop stuff as much as he loved the world changers, too. Little Richard will knock you out of your socks with his version of By The Light Of The Silvery Moon. That one literally contains "moon, June, spoon."

If changing the world is my job and singing songs is my only tool I have to be careful. A kid has to have his fun, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment