Thursday, March 21, 2019

Here's Your Hat, What's Your Hurry?







Music will find its place. Always does. I was lucky. Rock'n'roll was the center of all culture for most of my lifetime. Elvis was more important than Eisenhower when I was nine years old. The Beatles were "more popular than Jesus," according to John Lennon in 1966. Less well remembered was his followup quip:

"I don't know which will go first- rock'n'roll or Christianity."

What passes for rock'n'roll has nothing to do with the music that I grew up with. Oh, it's not the art form that repels me when rap plays. Woody Guthrie and Louis Jordan made great rap records. Don't consider accusing me of nostalgia. Their best work was made before I was born. Now, if you want to talk about Nervous Norvus or Bobby Marchan or Ken Nordine- guilty, as charged. I like good rap. I like good music.

As for Christianity, I'm sure it will find its place, too. 












No comments:

Post a Comment