Sunday, January 10, 2016

I'm A Rich 'Un


Over time my fortunes have risen and tumbled. For a short time my net worth was impressive. I've spent more time broke. Frequently flat broke. I've never accumulated much debt. My mom taught me to balance a checkbook. 

When it comes to material goods I've owned pretty much everything that I could have ever dreamed of. Some of it I wish I had back. So that I could sell it again. 

The only things that I truly miss are the loved ones who have gone, human and otherwise. That's not a source of despair. Most of the joy in my heart comes from the memories that they left me.

Now the household is the three of us: Jamaica, a maniacal, lovable mutt, ten years old; Angel, a balding black cat headed for seventeen and displaying some charming signs of senility; and me, a delusional hillbilly looking at a sixty ninth birthday with almost no signs of stability of any kind.

As I watch these folks on the nightly news speculate on what they will do with their nine hundred million dollar payoff from Powerball I realize that I'm one of the richest men who ever lived. Everything is mine. Oh, I'm happy when I get new "stuff." Truth is, though, I can't think of anything that I want.

All my life I've been spoiled with love. I wish that for everyone. Share your love. Forgive. Dance and sing.



No comments:

Post a Comment