Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Back- I'm Back

It's all Rimbaud if you only remember the sad parts. It's all Bo Diddley if you only pay attention to the beat. Suddenly it dawns on me that I'm not fragile at all. My mom always told me that I was the smartest kid in the class, the best looking. Great.

She never told me that I was fragile, too frail for this world, destined for heartbreak. That's what she thought, though, and I knew it. She was. She was and she projected it on me.

I still fret about that one-legged seagull on Indian Rocks Beach from 1953 or '54. Still mourn that orange cat that I ran over when I was seventeen.

Suddenly at this point in this long life the station is coming in more clearly. No static to speak of. Oh,  I'm not giving up any windmills. That's what I do. The signal, though- man! I'm picking up Mexico, Bulgaria.

I'm finishing up a song about "loving less." Makes it obvious to me that I should have always "loved more." Run up the score. That's how you win. Don't worry about that other team. Love harder.

If I adjust my tower, you know- maintain my antennae, I've still got a show. All the beauty in the world flows through these veins. Gary Cooper was an actor. I'm the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Good thing- I always knew I wasn't the smartest kid in the class. Or the best looking.




No comments:

Post a Comment