Saturday, May 4, 2013

Don't Know Much Geography

Maybe I'd move if I had somewhere to go. There are certainly better fits for me than Tampa. San Francisco. London. Key West. I don't want to starve, though, or get hit by a car from the wrong direction. I surely don't want to slide off the earth into the ocean.

We moved here when I was six years old; me, my mom and my grandmother. When I tell the story, it was my idea. To a kid Florida was all beaches and palm trees and Hawaiian shirts. Looking back I was probably set up. Mom probably used me as the excuse to do something fun and irresponsible.

Now I'm a solo act here. No family left. Folks call me by name most places I go. I've been here for a long, long time now.

To quote some journeyman folksinger, "Sometimes I wish I had someone to come home to. Sometimes loneliness cuts just like a knife."


No comments:

Post a Comment