Friday, March 1, 2013

Family

The shrink on the radio yesterday warned me about shrinks. Now I've had some fine experiences with therapists and, crazy as I am, I feel like I am further down my own road because of the help that I have received. His point was that most psychiatrists today push prescription drugs for depression as their weapon of choice. Psychotherapy has fallen out of fashion. Again.

This guy's idea is that the love and support of family and friends is where we're likely to get our help these days. Well, I don't have much family left. Don't get me wrong. The aunt and uncle and assorted cousins scattered around the South are wonderful. I never get off of the phone with any of them without being reminded that they love me. I just don't get to be with any of them, to talk to them in person.

Now I have another family. I'm like a giddy thirteen year old on the internet and I'm not a bit ashamed of it. Saved me once.

Oh yeah. There's that, too. I have found someone who completes my life. Family. Someone who can use all of this love I have. Once again I am tempted to question my good fortune but I don't dare.


No comments:

Post a Comment