Wednesday, October 1, 2014

New Shoes, Old Friends

Maybe it's because I've had such good heroes. I don't know. Uncle Reid was probably first. Uncle Morgan, Uncle Murray and Uncle Moss were always there for me, too. Oh, I have great female influences in my life as well. Grandma was the wisest and sweetest human who ever lived. She taught me to pray, "Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war." I suppose I must have been three or four. I never learned anything more important.

My mom brought me home records. Hank Williams, Elvis, Little Richard, Wynonie Harris. She took me to see Hank Ballard, Sam Cooke, Bo Diddley, Lavern Baker, Bill Haley and oh, so many others. That's where the heroes came from that shaped my identity. I'm a rock'n'roller. That's what I do.

I'm a feminist, too. I was raised by women. All my aunts, Josephine, Marion, Pauline and Wilma- they showed me that it's women who run the show. The real show. Now Aunt Jo is the only one left. She's ninety eight years old and she's a firecracker.

It's a struggle for me. What if I'm never the man that I should have been? What if I never live up to what they all had in mind for me? I do believe that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Heck, I have. I know that it's not enough to preach love. You have to love, love hard, love unconditionally and without fear or reservation. Keep an eye on me. I'm trying.


1 comment:

  1. good stuff....one of my obvious family heroes....my Dad....drove a milk truck back north....brought his family here in '59....partly to help me because I was having heart problems early on.....he drove a laundry truck here...and then somehow came up with money for my open heart surgery and sent me to college and raised 2 other kids....he was an artist and a musician....who never got to do it professionally....because he had family responsibilities.....I am trying to make a little art and music.....in his honor.....

    ReplyDelete