Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Where They Hide It

It's the innocence, Captain, it's the innocence. Maybe I'm lucky that I never have to pry my heart open. Hurt me once, shame on me. Hurt me twice, shame on me. Hurt me three times, shame on me. I know a pattern when I see one.

Well, now, I suppose that we can all look at a photo of an infant elephant looking up with adoration at a proud mom and melt into stupid. Play Old Shep on the jukebox and we'll bawl together. They produce television spots of starving babies that are designed to break your heart and open your wallet. Either they work or you've learned to quickly change the channel.

I'm finally learning that most folks don't want you to see their innocence. It's kinda' like spinach in your teeth or your underwear showing, I guess.

We're all the same little kid who needed love and approval in the beginning. I'm drawn to it like that stupid moth to that proverbial flame. Some lessons come slowly. Me and Popeye, we are who we are. I love you.


1 comment: