Friday, October 25, 2013

Flames On The Fridge

Did I ever tell you about my refrigerator? It was in the house when I bought it. Wasn't really old enough to be truly funky but it had a good scale and nice rounded corners. Kept the beer cold. It was just a touch boring, sitting there all white and everything. 

Well, I never saw a hot rod that didn't look better after some fine flames were painted on. I got my pal, Ed Brown, to go to work on her. When I tried to tell Ed what I wanted, "You know, blue and yellow tips with green outlines..."

"I know, I know. Get out of the way."

Of course, he did. Ed knew everything about high art. Well, according to Ed, he knew everything.

It was, as you might imagine, a beauty. Its existence fascinated everybody who came through the kitchen and it still kept the beer cold.

You're gonna think I'm making this up but it caught fire in the middle of the night after about ten years. Fortunately it set off the smoke alarm and the firemen got there in time to help get the thing doused and save the house.

Seems this was a new one for them. Of course they were pretty young. The idea of a refrigerator with flames burning up in the kitchen was really something. One young bumpkin in the crew pointed out the irony of hot rod flames, symbolic of streamlined speed, being painted on a big ol', boxy refrigerator. I didn't have the nerve to tell him that it had never occurred to me. Of course it was the middle of the night, as I said.

I miss that refrigerator. I miss Ed.


No comments:

Post a Comment