Friday, October 26, 2012

Friends

Wherever I go I'm reminded of the value of friends. A musician pal came up to me last night and told me how much he liked the new record. That's always nice. Then he fumbled for a minute and mumbled something about, "I don't know if I should be saying this." He related a personal story about missing an opportunity to warn me of impending romantic disaster and his regrets regarding everything that came next.

His kindness gave me a level of closure and validation that is still overwhelming. That's what friends do. I hope that I'm able to be a friend from time to time.

Lots of folks ask me about my good friend, Harry Hayward, wherever I go. Sometimes I wonder if Dean Martin got asked about Jerry Lewis and how he was doing right up until the end. Harry has been through some rough times over the last few years including a major health scare. This song is his story. He's my pal.


No comments:

Post a Comment