Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Goodbye, Sweetheart

Everybody always tells you that you're never really ready for it. They're right. Saturday afternoon, as I was pulling into the parking lot at Bayshore Pointe, an ambulance was pulling out. It always sends a chill down my spine but it's common when you go to a nursing home every day.

This was the time, though. My mom was on her way to the emergency room and it was her last trip on this planet.

Thursday evening had been Family Night and we sat right up front. Nobody enjoys Jelvis, the Presley impersonator, more than my mother did. I have never had more fun with her. I honestly believe that it was one of the best nights of her long life.

My mother spoiled me. We moved to Florida when I was six years old because I wanted to. She bought me cars and clothes and guitars. I should mention that we were poor. I never knew. A single mom raising a son on a telephone information operator's salary makes for tight finances. To say that she sacrificed for me is a ridiculous understatement.

That's not how she spoiled me, though. I was surrounded with unconditional love from the time that I was born. I never met my father. I never missed anything. Mom thought that I was perfect in every single thing that I did. To her I was always the smartest kid in my class, the most handsome boy in my school, a successful rock'n'roll star.

Now, I'm not the smartest kid in class but I'm not dumb. I have failed in every endeavor. I have skidded through business and fumbled in art. I play with all my heart but I've never sold a dozen records. As a husband I have probably set world records for low achievement. To my mom, though, I was always the best. I know I was never the best son but to her I was.

This was us at Family Night last Thursday. Goodnight, Mom.



7 comments:

  1. Hey Ronnie, god bless you and I'm sorry for your loss, if everyone learned to live a simple life humble and full of soul, how could the world not be a better place? I know you won't need to call because you have plenty of folks close to you, but my line always gets answered! Your mom did a great job with you!

    Peace on and offshore to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronnie, your Mother and my Mother were just about the same age. They could easily have been friends in South Tampa if you lived in Bruce and Mark Holland's neighborhood. I was also unconditionally loved. Reading your story put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. I am not sad for you or for me for we did not lose the most precious feeling life can give us. A Mother's love. It will follow you for the rest of your days, maybe your music at times might be a bit sadder or a bit happier. You might turn a corner and have a memory.......sleep will bring you close to the most important woman in your life. Your Mom will be with you is what I am trying to convey. Much love to you Ronnie as you find the rest of the way thru life, but you have us, your friends and fans and your family is vast.........Mother Earth.........Mar......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronny, your mom sound a lot like my mother. My mom 'left' me in 1971. She was only 56 and I was only 23, but she had already given me the greatest gift of all. Unconditional LOVE!
      You are so blessed to have had her in your life for so long. Bless your heart...peace be with you always!

      Delete
    2. I know. I am at peace and I am blessed and happy. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I am lucky and I know that I'm lucky. I have been given everything and I have been surrounded by blinding love for my entire life. My mom will always be with me. The kindness of my friends is overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your mom lives on in you, Ronny. She must have been a pretty great woman to manage all that she did. I know you had fun growing up, and you were a hero to all of us groupies...stil are!

    Just remember that we have "time invested" as my late father in law would say. By virtue of the time that I have known you, I think you can call me your sister. I feel like family to you, Ronny, and I'll always be your friend. Call me if you want to hang out. xoxo jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jeannie. I always want to hang out. That's what I do.

    ReplyDelete