Tuesday, September 14, 2021

You Talkin' To Me?





If you're like me, you spend most of your waking hours waiting for the next chapter. 

"As soon as I grow up."

"As soon as I get married."

"As soon as I'm divorced."

"When I finish this record."

"Once this haircut grows out."

You know, the important stuff. Most of the rest of my time I spend looking back. Usually with regret. At least I never grew up. I played rock'n'roll.

One day, out of the blue, you realize that you're on the last chapter. 

When I finally made it to the last bit of Look Homeward, Angel, I slowed down. I remember only reading a page or two and putting it down. Finally I would only read one or two paragraphs before going to bed, knowing that there was an ending that Thomas Wolfe had put there that I couldn't get around.

The news comes on and I'm encouraged by the fact that the world leaders are older than I am. Of course it's obvious that they've been on the last chapter for some time.

At some point you're just hoping for a happy ending.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment