Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Okay Boomer






Holiday season is here and I find myself putting up a few lights. Hanging a couple of stockings. I don't know what's gotten into me.

Just as I was about to get good at feeling bad-

ka-wham!

We all grieve in our own fashion, on our own schedule. I find myself now, overwhelmed with the joy of the love that I have known. The expectation is generally that we will "grow up." Well, sir, I got taller and my voice got lower. 

Mostly, though, I remember what they tried to teach me- "they" being my mom, my grandmother, the aunts and uncles, the cousins, some of the teachers, the heroes from rock'n'roll, the philosophers, a few of the preachers, lots of strangers and the women who put up with me for as long as they could. Oh, and the animals. Don't forget all the animals.

Funny- I kept thinking I was changing.




No comments:

Post a Comment