Saturday, August 18, 2018

Socially Awkward






The concept of power is really amusing when it comes to humans. Nobody has power over you that you don't give them. 

When I saw a newspaper ad for Volvos years ago, I asked a friend what he thought of the deal. He looked it over and declared it a bargain. I explained that I was interested but was afraid that I wasn't the type to pull up in a Volvo. 

He nodded and looked me up and down before he pointed out that I wasn't the type to pull up in anything.

That's my life. I've mopped floors, flunkied for the government, managed real estate offices, promoted concerts, packaged mortgages, written for newspapers and scooped mud from the bottom of barges.

Over six decades folks have hitched their wagon to my dim star. Powerful folks have promised to make me rich. Famous. To be honest, nobody has promised me anything for a good while now.

Do you suppose those folks thought they saw something special in me or do you think that I just posed the ultimate challenge?

Who cares? I liked that Volvo and I wouldn't know what to do with money if I had it.




No comments:

Post a Comment