Tuesday, June 20, 2017

They Don't Know Any Better






Oh, to turn it on and turn it off. Sometimes I envy the ones whose emotional meters go from one to one hundred. I pegged the needle at about six hundred when I was a kid and I can't keep my foot off the pedal today.

Every child who wakes up hungry. All the dogs on the street. Every soldier who misses home in the name of some made-up god's war. The broken hearted mother in the nursing home who does have a memory. Lots of memories and no visitors.

Visions of the one-legged seagull who didn't seem to be able to catch any of the crumbs.

The payoff for the ones of us who came without insulation on the wiring is pure, perfect joy. It's in every cute kitten video on You Tube and every baby's laugh. Rock'n'roll was built on it. It manifests on love.

When I was a kid I dreamed of a compound where all of my aunts and uncles, all of my cousins and my beloved mother and grandmother lived and nobody ever had to leave. Ever.

I still wish I believed in heaven. I'm glad I believe in love.







No comments:

Post a Comment