Thursday, February 9, 2017

An Old Beatnik Looks At 70






Some of us have to work with the world from the outside. That's alright. I'm more comfortable out here. I've been dragged in a few times. I didn't much like it and they didn't either.

Poor old Jack- he was happy when he was one of the "poor in spirit." His really was the kingdom of heaven. He longed for recognition, though. He needed legitimacy. The kind that only comes with sales. Chart action. Critical acclaim. On The Road changed everything. 

Be careful what you wish for. He was forty seven when he died in St. Pete. Fat. Broke. Unhappy. Unable to write.

Oh, I've longed for success and I have cursed the business. All the while I have clung stubbornly to my poor spirit and I have known the kingdom of heaven.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Give us peace on earth and end this dreadful, dreadful war.




No comments:

Post a Comment