Tuesday, November 24, 2015

What's He Preach


It's easy for me to teach folks who don't think they can play an instrument to tear up the keyboard. I sit them down on the bench, get the band to wail in the key of C and instruct the nervous student to hit any of the white keys any time they feel the urge. Pretty soon the new guy's wailing- dying to quit his job and hit the road, touring.

What can I say? I'm a born teacher. 

My secret? There aren't any secrets. People make too much of everything. Hey, it ain't brain surgery, Ben.

My preaching runs the same course. Anything that I missed in Sunday school I can learn from bumper stickers and t-shirts.

"Jesus wasn't a Christian. Buddha wasn't a Buddhist. Mohammed wasn't a Muslim. They just taught love."

"Just be nice."

"Practice random acts of kindness."

Well, it turns out that I don't much believe in black and white. Kids don't either. Neither do blind people. Yeah, I'm glad that we finally got a good pope. Honestly, though, it's just a really sweet guy who got the good hat and the good job. He would have been a fine presbyterian or Hindu.

I do believe in good and bad. You get to choose. It's all about the love. Just hit the white ones. Keys, that is. Just hit the white keys.







No comments:

Post a Comment