Sunday, August 30, 2015

Cheap Date

You've never heard many "second takes" from me. My first record producer, Phil Gernhard, was a tyrant in the studio, a cheapskate. If you played a clam you were going to be berated in front of everyone.

The payoff for me is that all of my work habits from those days shaped my recording habits that are still in play. My therapist might add that my limited attention span is in the mix as well.

I'm not looking for perfection in making records. It's a good thing, huh? I want to make you laugh so hard that milk runs out your nose or cry your eyes out. My pal, Rev. Billy C. Wirtz, has an uncanny ability to manage both. In a single song sometimes.

If I'm gonna break your heart I'm gonna do it with my broken heart. It would be real nice to make pretty music. It's pretty nice to make real music. Let's don't do this twice.



1 comment: