Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rock'n'Roll Exotique

Oh, do I remember the mystique of the sound from the tiny little speaker in the little black and cream RCA transistor radio. I heard Joe Clay's version of Ducktail and rushed to the dime store downtown by bus to purchase the new Elvis record, Dog Tail, that I insisted to the clerk was currently playing on the airwaves. I wasted several more trips before I heard it again and caught Joe's name.

I pondered the many dark mysteries hidden in clues in Buchanan and Goodman's silly Flying Saucer Part 1 and 2. Just who was Skinny Dynamo?

Why did so many of my heroes have names that began with adjectives? You know, Big Joe Turner and Little Willie John and Fats Domino and Little Richard.

I pondered the references in all of the Coasters' 45's. Honestly, I'm still wondering about some of them. I knew who Boston Blackie was from the earliest tv but just who or what was Bulldog Drummond?

Of course the main thing was the sound itself. Nothing had ever sounded even remotely like Heartbreak Hotel or I'm Walkin' or Peggy Sue.

I guess I must be about the luckiest guy in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment